Thursday 15 September 2011

Topman T-Shirts Spark Twitter Controversy



Another day, another controversy in the fashion industry. First there was the JC Penney “I’m Too Pretty to Do Homework so my brother has to do it for me" T-shirt, then the Forever 21 "allergic to algebra" tee and now this. Topman are the latest clothing chain to offend people with their T-Shirt slogans, as two of their products were slammed for encouraging sexist remarks as well as condoning and glamourising domestic violence. Dark.

One of the T-Shirts had the slogan: "Nice new girlfriend - what breed is she?" which people complained was sexist, while the other one read: "I'm so sorry, but... You provoked me; I was drunk; I was having a bad day; I hate you; I didn't mean it; I couldn't help it" which was thought to refer to domestic violence.

Topshop's Twitter, Facebook and official website were flooded with comments from outraged and offended shoppers. Some of the comments includes: "Seriously, comparing women to dogs? Classy." and "Topman used to be cool, then they decided to redesign the stores, and now this??? im ashamed." (sic)
The High Street chain has now stopped the sale of the two shirts, but we don't think this is the last Topshop will hear of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment